Ruben Amorim releases statement as Premier League manager reaches agreement for job
Ruben Amorim's representatives have issued a statement confirming the Portuguese coach will not return to management in Portugal, stressing his intention to continue his career abroad.
The former Manchester United manager had been linked with replacing Jose Mourinho at Benfica, who is set to take charge of Real Madrid after agreeing to return to Santiago Bernabeu.
Amorim, who made his name in the dugout with Sporting Clube de Portugal, arrived at Old Trafford with a high reputation. However, he endured a turbulent 14‑month spell in charge and was later sacked by the club back in January.
United's fortunes have since improved markedly under Michael Carrick, who is now expected to be appointed head coach on a permanent basis.
Amorim, meanwhile, retains strong ties to both Sporting and Benfica and is close friends with Benfica president Rui Costa, who served as the club's sporting director during Amorim's playing days at the Estadio da Luz.
So much so that their relationship had fuelled talk of a possible return to Benfica as manager.
However, AS1 Sports, the agency representing Amorim, has confirmed in a statement that he will not take charge of any Portuguese club. The 41‑year‑old has previously coached SC Braga, Sporting and Casa Pia during his time in his homeland.
The statement read: "In light of the latest news regarding Ruben Amorim's future, particularly by SIC's 'Jornal da Noite' - it is important to clarify the following: Ruben Amorim made the decision a long time ago to pursue his career abroad.
"Therefore, he has not had any meetings with Portuguese clubs to discuss working conditions, structure, squad, salaries, or any other matters; anything said beyond this is mere speculation and has no basis with reality."
Having ruled himself out of the running, reports now claim Fulham boss May 21, 2026 " rel="Follow" target="_self">Marco Silva is reportedly set to take over at Benfica, with an 'agreement in principle' already in place.
Silva, who has been at Craven Cottage since 2021, is believed to have prioritised a return to his home country over extending his stay with the Whites.
When asked about his future, Silva admitted he has never closed the door on a new challenge.
"[The Premier League] is a league that, I won't hide, fulfils me – It's a league where I believe all coaches have that goal and that little bug of wanting to try it one day," he said in an interview with DAZN Portugal last week. "It's a league where I want to see my team fighting for other things, I want to see my team able to fight for something more, and that has always been the goal.
"But I've also never closed any doors to anything, I've never said that I wouldn't be in league A, B, C or D in the future. Regardless of controlling all the decisions I might make regarding it, the future is open."
The Lisbon-born boss briefly coached Sporting and Estoril before a stint at Olympiacos and later coaching four English teams in the form of Hull City, Watford, Everton and Fulham.


0 Response to "Ruben Amorim releases statement as Premier League manager reaches agreement for job"
Post a Comment